We have surpassed the year mark of the beginning of a global pandemic, and with an unclear future, the motivation to continue self-care is understandably declining.
Austin Therapy for Girls has put together a list of ideas to shake up your self-care routine and help motivate you to continue loving on yourself even when it feels hard to do so.
What is Self-Care?
Self-care is putting yourself first and caring for yourself physically, emotionally, and mentally. Self-care may seem selfish and uncomfortable, especially if we were not taught to prioritize ourselves earlier in life. However, self-care is not selfish and can even improve our relationships with others. There is a saying that we hear every time we board a plane (hopefully, our days of travel will return soon), “put your oxygen mask on first and then assist those around you.” Self-care is you putting your oxygen mask on first, and once you can breathe, you will then be in a better position to help those around you.
Below are a few things to keep in mind when starting or restarting your self-care journey
- There is no end date to self-care. It is a skill we develop over the duration of our lives and should be practiced daily
- It is easier said than done to practice self-care, so when you miss a day, practice self-compassion and allow yourself room for forgiveness and growth
- Self-care does not require money, spa trips, or endless amounts of time. You only need to set aside 5-10 minutes a day dedicated to yourself. If you have the luxury of more time allow yourself extra time to care for yourself.
- Self-care is not a trend on the internet, it is an evidence-based practice that is encouraged by physicians, therapists, and other medical and helping professionals
Shake Up Your Routine!
Yoga, face masks, eating breakfast are all wonderful and common forms of self-care, but if you are finding yourself in need of inspiration to kick start your motivation for self-care check out these activities.
Hitting your movement goal
Exercise has been a proven method in reducing anxiety and it is great for your physical health. The options below add a little spice to your mundane routine.
- Tik Tok Dance Cardio on YouTube
- Taking a walk while listening to your favorite playlist or podcast
- Spring Cleaning – sweeping, mopping, and scrubbing dishes is a great way to get your heart rate up while sprucing up your environment.
- 30 second dance breaks to shake off the pandemic blues
Easing your mind in uncertain times.
Uncertainty is anxiety’s BFF, and together they bully motivation and encourage procrastination. The best way to combat this is by creating some certainty in areas of your life that you have control over. Take a look at the tips below on how to do this.
- Create a routine (bedtime, wake-up time, mealtimes, movement/ exercise times, etc.)
- Practice mindfulness (being present in the moment while eating, walking, or sipping your morning coffee)
- Be mindful of substance and alcohol consumption
- Honor your creative side – pick up a new hobby or rekindle your passion for an old hobb
Self-care is not a do it once and fix it solution, but with continued practice it can boost motivation, lower anxiety, and help you be more present in the moment with loved ones. The Austin Therapy For Girls’ Team is here for you and we are cheering you on as you take this self-care journey!